I'am try to compile the piece of code:
struct foo {
unsigned long long x0;
};
//__device__ __noinline__ foo bar(foo a, foo b){ // << try this
__device__ foo bar(foo a, foo b){
foo r;
asm(
".reg .u64 my_cool_var;\n\t"
"add.cc.u64 %0, %1, %2;\n\t"
: "=l"(r.x0)
: "l"(a.x0)
"l"(b.x0)
);
return r;
}
__device__ foo func_with2call(foo x, foo y){
foo res = bar(x, y);
foo iy = bar(x, res);
return iy;
}
__global__ void cuda_test1(foo *a, foo *b, foo *r) {
*r = func_with2call(*a, *b);
}
Compiler output:
ptxas /tmp/tmpxft_000010f5_00000000-6_main.ptx, line 38; error : Duplicate definition of variable 'my_cool_var'
ptxas fatal : Ptx assembly aborted due to errors
I know, that it is a problem with code inlining. For example, if I compile bar function with __noinline__ attribute, then there is no error. Is there a way to keep the inlining (other than duplicating the bar function code with different internal variable names), but still call bar function twice?