Use GVim as GNU OCtave's text editor on Windows

Viewed 48

I am using Windows 10 and the text editor I am used to is Vim. I just intalled a shiny new GNU Octave copy (version 7.2.0). The Octave editor is pretty limited and I know it is possible to override it to vim/gvim. I have tried different things to make it work, without success.

Using the Preference->Editor pane

Preference window

It seems that Octave is never able to understand what I put in there. I have tried using gvim, gvim.exe, a full path to my copy of gvim, etc. When I go to the editor, I either get:

Error from GUI (1)

or, when using a full path to the editor (ex. here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Vim\vim82\gvim.exe):

Error from GUI (2)

I think Octave is unable to deal with spaces in paths (at least from this edit box). It have also tried using single and double quotes, but it also fails:

Error from GUI (3)

Using an .octaverc file

When nothing worked in the GUI, I tried configuring an .octaverc file, as described in the GNU Octave Wiki:

 edit mode sync
 edit home .
 EDITOR('gvim')

I tried with vim as well, full paths, etc, to no avail. Now I know that this file is read and executed when lauching Octave because when I put garbage in it, I see it in the Command Window. I also found a Set Path option in the GUI and I tried adding the path to gvim there, but it had no effect:

Set Path

Question

I can I make my GNU Octave editor gvim, on Windows? I would like to use my current installation (default for Octave, default for Vim as well...)

0 Answers
Related