TLDR: task parallel code fails to recognize task dependency on partially overlapping subarrays
I'm trying to parallelize some fortran code using task parallelism. I'm struggling to get the task dependency to work.
The following minimal example illustrates my problem:
program test
integer, parameter :: n = 100
double precision :: A(n,n),B(n,n)
integer :: istart, istop
!$omp parallel
!$omp single
istart = 20
istop = 50
!$omp task shared(A,B) firstprivate(istart,istop)&
!$omp& depend( in: B(istart:istop,istart:istop) )&
!$omp& depend( inout: A(istart:istop,istart:istop) )
write(*,*) "starting task 1"
call sleep(5)
write(*,*) "stopping task 1"
!$omp end task
istart = 30
istop = 60
!$omp task shared(A,B) firstprivate(istart,istop)&
!$omp& depend( in: B(istart:istop,istart:istop) )&
!$omp& depend( inout: A(istart:istop,istart:istop) )
write(*,*) "starting task 2"
call sleep(5)
write(*,*) "stopping task 2"
!$omp end task
!$omp end single nowait
!$omp end parallel
end program
Which I compile using gcc version 9.4.0 and the -fopenmp flag.
The code has two tasks. Task 1 depends on A(20:50,20:50) and task 2 depends on A(30:60,30:60). These subarrays overlap, so I would expect task 2 to wait until task 1 has completed, but the output I get is:
starting task 1
starting task 2
stopping task 1
stopping task 2
If I comment out the lines
istart = 30
istop = 60
so that the subarrays are exactly the same instead of just overlapping, task 2 does wait on task 1.
Are task dependencies with overlapping subarrays not supported in openmp? Or am I defining the dependencies wrong somehow?