I am running Jupyter Notebook 6.4.8 on a machine in my network using the command
jupyter notebook --no-browser --port=[openport]
and forwarding the appropriate ports like so
ssh -L [openport]:localhost:[openport] user@[jupyterhost]
so that I can access the jupyter interface from another machine on my network at http://localhost:[openport] (where [openport] is the same port in all commands and [jupyterhost] is the ip address of the machine running jupyter).
This has been working relatively smoothly while running/modifying notebooks I have already uploaded to the machine. Today I started to try and use this method to start something from scratch and noticed that the new button wouldn't work. I continued to find that all the buttons on the top right hand side of the file navigation interface are not working.
Specifically, the quit, logout, upload, new, refresh, and all file ordering buttons do nothing when clicked. All tabs on the left side (i.e., files, running, clusters) as well as all file navigation links all work. On the running tab, being able to shutdown running notebooks is something that once worked but has stopped (I'm assuming as a byproduct of trying to fix the problem but not 100% sure).
So far I have tried to upgrade ipython via
pip install ipython --upgrade
and have deleted the ~/.ipython/ folder based on advice in previous related posts (in that order). Restarting jupyter after each attempt and re-testing the interface showed no progress. I noticed the shutdown button not working on the running page only after trying both of the above proposed fixes.
The only warnings I am receiving while starting jupyter are related to the port configuration which I'm not 100% how to resolve but am also reasonably sure are unrelated to the problem.
[W 2022-08-31 23:28:18.853 LabApp] 'port' has moved from NotebookApp to ServerApp. This config will be passed to ServerApp. Be sure to update your config before our next release.
I also have tested this on the local machine without the flags for remote operation, i.e.,
jupyter notebook
and the same buttons not working on the remote setup appear to be operational when viewed on a local browser.
Any suggestions on how I can debug/fix the interface issues would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!