Quite frequently, I'd like to retrieve only the first N rows from a query, but I don't know in advance what N will be. For example:
try(var stream = sql.selectFrom(JOB)
.where(JOB.EXECUTE_AFTER.le(clock.instant()))
.orderBy(JOB.PRIORITY.asc())
.forUpdate()
.skipLocked()
.fetchSize(100)
.fetchLazy()) {
// Now run as many jobs as we can in 10s
...
}
Now, without adding an arbitrary LIMIT clause, the PG query planner sometimes decides to do a painfully slow sequential table scan for such queries, AFAIK because it thinks I'm going to fetch every row in the result set. An arbitrary LIMIT kind of works for simple cases like this one, but I don't like it at all because:
- the limit's only there to "trick" the query planner into doing the right thing, it's not there because my intent is to fetch at most
Nrows. - when it gets a little more sophisticated and you have multiple such queries that somehow depend on each other, choosing an
Nlarge enough to not break your code can be hard. You don't want to be the next person who has to understand that code. - finding out that the query is unexpectedly slow usually happens in production where your tables contain a few million/billion rows. Totally avoidable if only the DB didn't insist on being smarter than the developer.
- I'm getting tired of writing detailed comments that explain why the queries have to look like this-n-that (i.e. explain why the query planner screws up if I don't add this arbitrary limit)
So, how do I tell the query planner that I'm only going to fetch a few rows and getting the first row quickly is the priority here? Can this be achieved using the JDBC API/driver?
(Note: I'm not looking for server configuration tweaks that indirectly influence the query planner, like tinkering with random page costs, nor can I accept a workaround like set seq_scan=off)
(Note 2: I'm using jOOQ in the example code for clarity, but under the hood this is just another PreparedStatement using ResultSet.TYPE_FORWARD_ONLY and ResultSet.CONCUR_READ_ONLY, so AFAIK we can rule out wrong statement modes)
(Note 3: I'm not in autocommit mode)