I've been trying to manually get the response values given by the predict.glm function from the stats package in R. However, I'm unable to do so. I only know how to manually get the value with a binomial distribution. I would really appreciate some help. I created two small models (one with Gamma family and one with inverse Gaussian family).
library(stats)
library(dplyr)
data("USArrests")
#Gamma distribution model
model_gam <- glm(Rape~Murder + Assault + UrbanPop, data=USArrests, family=Gamma)
print(summary(model_gam))
responses_gam <- model_gam %>% predict(USArrests[1,], type="response")
print(responses_gam)
#Trying to manually get responses for gamma model
paste(coef(model_gam), names(coef(model_gam)), sep="*", collapse="+")
# "0.108221470842499*(Intercept)+-0.00122165587689519*Murder+-9.47425665022909e-05*Assault+-0.000467789606041651*UrbanPop"
print(USArrests[1,])
#Murder: 13.2, Assault: 236, UrbanPop: 58
x = 0.108221470842499 - 0.00122165587689519 * 13.2 - 9.47425665022909e-05 * 236 - 0.000467789606041651 * 58
# This is wrong. Do I have to include the dispersion? (which is 0.10609)
print (exp(x)/(1+exp(x)))
# result should be (from predict function): 26.02872
# exp(x)/(1+exp(x)) gives: 0.510649
# Gaussian distribution model
model_gaus <- glm(Rape~Murder + Assault + UrbanPop, data=USArrests, family=inverse.gaussian(link="log"))
responses_gaus <- model_gaus %>% predict(USArrests[1,], type="response")
print(summary(model_gaus))
print(responses_gaus)
#Trying to manually get responses for gaussian model
paste(coef(model_gaus), names(coef(model_gaus)), sep="*", collapse="+")
# "0.108221470842499*(Intercept)+-0.00122165587689519*Murder+-9.47425665022909e-05*Assault+-0.000467789606041651*UrbanPop"
x = 1.70049202188329-0.0326196928618521* 13.2 -0.00234379099421488*236-0.00991369000675323*58
# Dispersion in this case is 0.004390825
print(exp(x)/(1+exp(x)))
# result should be (from predict function): 26.02872
# exp(x)/(1+exp(x)) it is: 0.5353866