I am trying to create a tableWidget in PyQt that has copy-paste functionality and the ability to create new tabs. My table is loaded with a initialized sheet but gives the user the ability to create new tabs with new qTableWidgets which I handled using a for loop to create and initialize the widget everytime a new tab is created in my add_sheet() function.
I wanted to also add functionality for copying and pasting inside each tab and across the tabs. Now when I added the key press event function to do this, I kept getting errors when trying to copy and paste in new tabs as out of index. I tried to fix this by keeping a pointer of which tab the selected indexes come from but this only allows me to edit on the first new tab created. The initial spreadsheet crashes when trying to do operations and the other tabs just do not work. It also does not copy and paste universally amongst the tabs.
I feel I have made my handling too complicated and I have a flaw or am missing something in my design pattern.
How can I properly implement my copy-paste function to work amongst all dynamically tabs with their own QTableWidget instances including the initial QTableWidget created both locally and universally?
import sys
from PyQt6.QtWidgets import (QApplication, QMainWindow,
QTableWidget, QTableWidgetItem,QVBoxLayout,QTabWidget,QWidget,QToolButton,QToolBar)
from PyQt6.QtCore import Qt
class MainWindow(QMainWindow):
def __init__(self):
super().__init__()
self.tab_widget = MyTabWidget(self)
self.setCentralWidget(self.tab_widget)
self.initializeUI()
def initializeUI(self):
"""Set up the application's GUI."""
self.setMinimumSize(1200, 500)
self.setWindowTitle("Spreadsheet - QTableWidget Example")
# Used for copy and paste actions
self.item_text = None
self.setUpMainWindow()
self.show()
def setUpMainWindow(self):
"""Create and arrange widgets in the main window."""
# Set initial row and column values
main_spreadsheet_widget.setRowCount(10)
main_spreadsheet_widget.setColumnCount(10)
class MyTabWidget(QWidget):
def __init__(self, parent):
super(QWidget, self).__init__(parent)
self.layout = QVBoxLayout(self)
# Initialize tab screen
self.sheets = QTabWidget()
self.main_sheet = QWidget()
self.sheets.resize(300, 200)
self.extra_sheets_tracker = list()
self.tab_index = []
self.copied_cells_list = []
self.paste_index = []
# Add sheets
self.sheets.addTab(self.main_sheet, "Main Sheet")
#self.sheets.addTab(self.tab3, "Geeks")
# Create first tab
self.main_sheet.layout = QVBoxLayout(self)
self.main_sheet.layout.addWidget(main_spreadsheet_widget)
self.main_sheet.setLayout(self.main_sheet.layout)
self.tabButton = QToolButton(self)
self.tabButton.setText('+')
font = self.tabButton.font()
font.setBold(True)
self.tabButton.setFont(font)
self.sheets.setCornerWidget(self.tabButton)
self.tabButton.clicked.connect(self.add_sheet)
# Add sheets to widget
self.layout.addWidget(self.sheets)
self.setLayout(self.layout)
def add_sheet(self):
self.sheet = QWidget()
self.main_tab_sheet_widget = QTableWidget()
self.extra_sheets_tracker.append(self.main_tab_sheet_widget)
self.main_tab_sheet_widget.setRowCount(10)
self.main_tab_sheet_widget.setColumnCount(10)
self.sheet.layout = QVBoxLayout(self)
self.sheet.layout.addWidget(self.main_tab_sheet_widget)
self.sheet.setLayout(self.sheet.layout)
self.sheets.addTab(self.main_tab_sheet_widget, "Sheet" + str(len(self.extra_sheets_tracker)))
def keyPressEvent(self, event):
super().keyPressEvent(event)
if event.key() == Qt.Key.Key_C and (event.modifiers() & Qt.KeyboardModifier.ControlModifier):
self.tab_index = []
for i in self.extra_sheets_tracker:
if i.selectedIndexes() is not None:
self.tab_index.append(self.extra_sheets_tracker.index(i))
self.copied_cells = sorted(self.extra_sheets_tracker[self.tab_index[0]].selectedIndexes())
self.copied_cells_list.append(self.copied_cells)
self.copied_cells = None
elif event.key() == Qt.Key.Key_V and (event.modifiers() & Qt.KeyboardModifier.ControlModifier):
self.paste_index = []
for i in self.extra_sheets_tracker:
self.paste_index.append(self.extra_sheets_tracker.index(i))
r = self.extra_sheets_tracker[self.paste_index[0]].currentRow() - self.copied_cells_list[0][0].row()
c = self.extra_sheets_tracker[self.paste_index[0]].currentColumn() - self.copied_cells_list[0][0].column()
for cell in self.copied_cells_list[0]:
self.extra_sheets_tracker[self.paste_index[0]].setItem(cell.row() + r, cell.column() + c, QTableWidgetItem(cell.data()))
if __name__ == "__main__":
app = QApplication(sys.argv)
main_spreadsheet_widget = QTableWidget()
window = MainWindow()
window.show()
sys.exit(app.exec())