I am trying to scrape text from a news article - I am doing this as follows:
library(rvest)
url <- "https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20220823-how-auckland-worlds-most-spongy-city-tackles-floods"
final = url %>%
read_html() %>%
html_elements(".article__body-content p") %>%
html_text()
This seems to have worked, but I am trying to combine the results of this code into a single object. For example, the current results look like this:
[1] "Tangled mats of muddy vegetation line the footpaths of Underwood Park, a narrow stripe of green winding along a creek beneath the small volcanic cone of Ōwairaka (Mt Albert) in Auckland, New Zealand. In the water, clumps of sticks and the occasional plastic bag are marooned on protruding rocks and branches."
[2] "A winter storm swept through the city overnight, dropping heavy rain, and Te Auaunga (Oakley Creek), one of the city’s longest urban streams, has overflowed its banks."
[3] "\"But that’s supposed to happen,\" says Julie Fairey, chair of the Puketāpapa local board, who is showing me around Underwood and the neighbouring Walmsley Park."
I would like to make a single object of this text - for example (remove all " "):
final <- "Tangled mats of muddy vegetation line the footpaths of Underwood Park, a narrow stripe of green winding along a creek beneath the small volcanic cone of Ōwairaka (Mt Albert) in Auckland, New Zealand. In the water, clumps of sticks and the occasional plastic bag are marooned on protruding rocks and branches.
A winter storm swept through the city overnight, dropping heavy rain, and Te Auaunga (Oakley Creek), one of the city’s longest urban streams, has overflowed its banks.
But that’s supposed to happen, says Julie Fairey, chair of the Puketāpapa local board, who is showing me around Underwood and the neighbouring Walmsley Park."
When I inspect the results, I initially thought it was a list - but it's actually a character object. Had this been a list, I could have used the "unlist" command. But now I am not sure how to proceed.
Can someone please show me how to proceed?
Thanks!