Is there a way to pass a Stream as a sql parameter to insert a query into a Postgres bytea/jsonb column using .NET? As I already have a Stream and those column types are binary types, I'm trying to pass it to query instead of reading it to byte[]/string and then passing it.
Like in this sample from SQL Server or in this sample using java's JDBC driver.
I've tried something like this:
public static async Task Insert(NpgsqlConnection connection, Guid id, Stream payload)
{
string commandText = $"INSERT INTO some_table (id, payload, occurred_on) " +
$"VALUES (@id, @payload, @occurred_on)";
await using var cmd = new NpgsqlCommand(commandText, connection);
cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("id", id);
cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("payload", payload);
cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("occurred_on", DateTime.Now);
await cmd.ExecuteNonQueryAsync();
}
But it has thrown an exception:
System.InvalidCastException: 'Can't write CLR type System.IO.MemoryStream with handler type ByteaHandler
I found there is https://www.npgsql.org/doc/copy.html#raw-binary-copy, but I'd like to insert a single row with multiple columns, one of which is passed as a Stream, and if I'm correct, it is not possible with it.