I am trying to learn how to scrape tweets from Twitter (using R). I have a twitter account and registered for the API. I got all necessary keys that seem to be required (api key, api secret, access token, access secret, bearer token).
I am now following this tutorial here: https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/rtweet/vignettes/auth.html
I first entered this line:
auth <- rtweet_app()
And then I entered my bearer token - when I try to view this object, it looks like this:
> auth
<Twitter bearer token>
I tried to run a query as suggested in the tutorial:
df <- search_tweets("#rstats", token = auth)
But this returns the following error:
Error: Twitter API failed [403]
Check error message at https://developer.twitter.com/en/support/twitter-api/error-troubleshooting
I tried to search this error on Twitter, but it does not seem very informative on how I can troubleshoot this:
# https://developer.twitter.com/en/support/twitter-api/error-troubleshooting
The request is understood, but it has been refused or access is not allowed. An accompanying error message will explain why.
Can someone please help me further troubleshoot this error?
Note: I did not get error 401 which would have indicated that I was not successfully authenticated.
Thanks!
Here is my session info:
R version 4.1.3 (2022-03-10)
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)
Running under: Windows 10 x64 (build 22000)
Matrix products: default
locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=English_Canada.1252 LC_CTYPE=English_Canada.1252 LC_MONETARY=English_Canada.1252 LC_NUMERIC=C
[5] LC_TIME=English_Canada.1252
attached base packages:
[1] stats graphics grDevices utils datasets methods base
other attached packages:
[1] rtweet_1.0.2
loaded via a namespace (and not attached):
[1] prettyunits_1.1.1 withr_2.5.0 digest_0.6.29 crayon_1.5.1 R6_2.5.1 lifecycle_1.0.1 evaluate_0.15
[8] httr_1.4.4 rlang_1.0.2 progress_1.2.2 cli_3.3.0 curl_4.3.2 vctrs_0.4.1 ellipsis_0.3.2
[15] rmarkdown_2.14 tools_4.1.3 tinytex_0.40 hms_1.1.1 xfun_0.30 yaml_2.3.5 fastmap_1.1.0
[22] compiler_4.1.3 pkgconfig_2.0.3 askpass_1.1 htmltools_0.5.2 knitr_1.39
>
Thanks!
