I am having trouble accurately doing a year over year comparison by month but at any point during the month. For example for August 2022 vs 2021, I want to compare August 1 to today, rather than full month of August 2021.
My data has a date field.
I want the final result to basically be:
Product_ID, Year, Month, PY_Sales, CY_Sales
I have daily totals. Some products do have not sales on certain days though. Here's an example:
| product_id | sale_date | units |
|---|---|---|
| 1 | 2021-01-01 | 5 |
| 2 | 2021-01-02 | 4 |
| ... | ... | ... |
| 1 | 2021-06-05 | 2 |
| 2 | 2021-08-01 | 1 |
| 2 | 2021-08-31 | 6 |
| 2 | 2022-01-06 | 1 |
| 2 | 2022-08-15 | 9 |
The final result for August should be:
| product_id | Year | Month | PY_Sales | CY_Sales |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| 2 | 2022 | 8 | 1 | 9 |
Right now my code will show 7 for August for product_id = 2 because 6 sales happened on August 31st but that day hasn't happened yet in 2022.
This is the code I have, but it doesn't do MTD. Right now, PY_Sales for August 2022 is showing the entire August of 2021, but I want it to show the MTD of August 2021. I used this code because some products do not have sales on certain months.
WITH cte AS
(
SELECT
PRODUCT_ID,
EXTRACT(YEAR FROM SALE_DATE) AS Year,
EXTRACT(MONTH FROM SALE_DATE) AS Month,
CONCAT(EXTRACT(YEAR FROM SALE_DATE), '-',EXTRACT(MONTH FROM SALE_DATE)) AS Year_Month,
SUM(Units) AS Units
FROM data
WHERE Product_ID = 1
AND DATE(SALE_DATE) >= '2019-01-01'
GROUP BY 1, 2, 3
),
diff AS
(
SELECT
COALESCE(c.PRODUCT_ID, p.PRODUCT_ID) AS Product_ID,
COALESCE(c.Year, p.Year + 1) AS Year,
COALESCE(c.Month, p.Month) AS Month,
IFNULL(c.Units, 0) AS Current_Units,
IFNULL(p.Units, 0) AS Previous_Units,
NULLIF(((IFNULL(c.Units, 0) - IFNULL(p.Units,0)) / p.Units),0) * 100 AS Percent_Change
FROM CTE c
FULL OUTER JOIN CTE p ON c.PRODUCT_ID = p.PRODUCT_ID AND c.Year = p.Year + 1 AND c.Month = p.Month
WHERE c.Year <= EXTRACT(YEAR FROM CURRENT_DATE())
ORDER BY 2, c.Year, c.Month
)
SELECT *
FROM diff
--This is to avoid dividing by 0
WHERE diff.Previous_Units > 0
--AND Percent_Change <= -.5
I'm being a little repetitive but I hope this is clear! Thank you so much!