I'm trying to write a KQL query that will, among other things, display the contents of a serialized dictionary called Tags which has been added to the Application Insights traces table customDimensions column by application logging.
An example of the serialized Tags dictionary is:
{
"Source": "SAP",
"Destination": "TC",
"SAPDeliveryNo": "0012345678",
"PalletID": "(00)312340123456789012(02)21234987654(05)123456(06)1234567890"
}
I'd like to use evaluate bag_unpack(...) to evaluate the JSON and turn the keys into columns. We're likely to add more keys to the dictionary as the project develops and it would be handy not to have to explicitly list every column name in the query.
However, I'm already using project to reduce the number of other columns I display. How can I use both a project statement, to only display some of the other columns, and evaluate bag_unpack(...) to automatically unpack the Tags dictionary into columns?
Or is that not possible?
This is what I have so far, which doesn't work:
traces
| where datetime_part("dayOfYear", timestamp) == datetime_part("dayOfYear", now())
and message has "SendPalletData"
| extend TagsRaw = parse_json(customDimensions.["Tags"])
| evaluate bag_unpack(TagsRaw)
| project timestamp, message, ActionName = customDimensions.["ActionName"], TagsRaw
| order by timestamp desc
When it runs it displays only the columns listed in the project statement (including TagsRaw, so I know the Tags exist in customDimensions).
evaluate bag_unpack(TagsRaw) doesn't automatically add extra columns to the result set unpacked from the Tags in customDimensions.
EDIT: To clarify what I want to achieve, these are the columns I want to output:
| timestamp | message | ActionName | TagsRaw | Source | Destination | SAPDeliveryNo | PalletID |
|---|
EDIT 2: It turned out a major part of my problem was that double quotes within the Tags data are being escaped. While the Tags as viewed in the Azure portal looked like normal JSON, and copied out as normal JSON, when I copied out the whole of a customDimensions record the Tags looked like "Tags": "{\"Source\":\"SAP\",\"Destination\":\"TC\", ... with the double quotes escaped with backslashes.
The accepted answer from David Markovitz handles this situation in the line:
TagsRaw = todynamic(tostring(customDimensions["Tags"]))