I've a Golang based micro-service which has an in-memory cache as follows:
- Create object -> Put it in cache -> Persist
- Update object -> Update the cache -> Persist
- Get -> Get it from the cache
- Delete -> Delete cache entry -> Remove from data store.
On a service re-start, the cache is populated from the data store.
The cache organizes the data in different ways that matches my access patterns.
Note that one client can create the object, and other clients can update it at a later point in time.
Everything works fine as long as I've one replica. But, this pattern will break when I increase the replica count in my deployment.
If I have to go to the DB for each GET, it defeats the purpose of the cache. The first thought is, to move the cache out. But, this seems like a fairly common problem when moving to multi-replica microservices. So, curious to understand alternatives.
Thanks for your time.