Unreal Engine - Can I use animations for the Mannequin Hand Skeletal Mesh, in the Full Mannequin Body’s hands?

Viewed 48

So I'm working in a VR project, and until recently I only had Skeletal Meshes of hands with animations. But recently I found a plugin for an upper body IK (it's called UBIK https://github.com/JonasMolgaard/UBIKSolver) animation based on the position of the Headset and the hands.

And I don't know how to implement those animations made for hand skeletons, to a full body skeletal mesh.

I don't even know if it's possible. If it isn't then I'll create every animation one by one, for each hand, but using the full body skeleton, and then do a montage or blend? That way I can move my body but also see the animations in the hands?

I'm honestly figuring this out as I go, so any help is welcome. Thanks in advance!!

1 Answers

You can blend animations as long as they're for the same Skeletal Mesh. Here's Unreal's own documentation for it. If the animations you've made already are for another Skeletal Mesh, which will most likely be the case, give Retargeting a go.

Related