I would like to perform some optimizations by minimizing the maximum of a specific path variable within Dymos. or the maximum of the absolute of such a variable.
In linear programming methods, this can be done by introducing slack variables.
Do you know if this has been attempted before with Dymos, or if there was a reason not to include it?
I understand gradient based methods are not entirely suitable for these problems, though I think some "functions" can be introduced to mitigate this.
For example, The space shuttle reentry problem from [Betts][1] used as a [test example][2] in dymos, the original source contains an example where the maximum heat flux is minimized. Such functionality could be implemented with the "loc" argument as:
phase.add_objective('q_c', loc='max')
[1]: J. Betts. Practical Methods for Optimal Control and Estimation Using Nonlinear Programming. Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, second edition, 2010. URL: https://epubs.siam.org/doi/abs/10.1137/1.9780898718577, arXiv:https://epubs.siam.org/doi/pdf/10.1137/1.9780898718577, doi:10.1137/1.9780898718577. [2]: https://openmdao.github.io/dymos/examples/reentry/reentry.html