I really like uing this pattern for rendering similar components and using a _type prop to distinguish it and pass it down to the correct component.
However, I've found it difficult to add in the types correctly and was wondering if you guys could help. I have some questions;
- Is the BlockMap type correct?
- What type should I be using for ResolvedBlock?
- Or generally, is there a better way of writing the types (without changing this structure?)
import React from 'react'
import { ImageBlock } from '/ImageBlock' // Assume all components are imported from whereever
type BlockType =
| 'imageBlock'
| 'formBlock'
| 'statisticBlock'
| 'videoBlock'
| 'quoteBlock'
interface Block {
_type: BlockType
_key: string
heading?: string
backgroundColor?: string
theme?: 'dark' | 'light'
}
type BlockMap = Record<BlockType, JSX.Element> // Is this type correct?
const blockMap:BlockMap = {
imageBlock: ImageBlock,
formBlock: FormBlock,
statisticBlock: StatisticBlock,
videoBlock: VideoBlock,
quoteBlock: QuoteBlock,
}
interface Props {
className?: string
blocks: Block[]
}
export function BlocksBuilder({
blocks = [],
className = ``,
}: Props):JSX.Element {
return (
<>
{blocks.map(block => {
const ResolvedBlock = blockMap[block._type] // What type should ResolvedBlock be?
if (!ResolvedBlock) return null
return (
<ResolvedBlock
className={className}
block={block}
key={block._key}
/>
)
})}
</>
)
}