I'm working on some modifications to the openEMS project. This project uses cmake to build all of its components. The top level CMakeLists.txt file contains the following:
...
ExternalProject_Add( openEMS
DEPENDS fparser CSXCAD
SOURCE_DIR ${PROJECT_SOURCE_DIR}/openEMS
CMAKE_ARGS -DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=${CMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE} -DFPARSER_ROOT_DIR=${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX} -DCSXCAD_ROOT_DIR=${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX} -DWITH_MPI=${WITH_MPI} -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}
)
...
Inside the openEMS directory, there's another CMakeLists.txt with the following:
...
set(SOURCES
openems.cpp
)
...
add_library( openEMS SHARED ${SOURCES})
...
After building the project successfully once, make does not rebuild anything when, for example, openems.cpp is modified. Why?
$ mkdir build
$ cd build
$ cmake -DBUILD_APPCSXCAD=NO
$ make
[builds all files]
$ touch ../openEMS/openems.cpp
$ make
[ 33%] Built target fparser
[ 66%] Built target CSXCAD
[100%] Built target openEMS
(noting is built)
I have checked and the modification date of openems.cpp is newer than the target. Even deleting the produced library files and binaries, both in the install directory and in the build directory, does not cause it to rebuild anything. The only way I can get it to rebuild is by deleting everything in the build directory and re-running cmake which, of course, rebuilds everything.