How can i fix the find_all error while web scraping?

Viewed 49

I am kinda a newbie in data world. So i tried to use bs4 and requests to scrap data from trending youtube videos. I have tried using soup.findall() method. To see if it works i displayed it. But it gives me an empty list. Can you help me fix it? Click here to see the spesific part of the html code.

from bs4 import BeautifulSoup
import requests
r = requests.get("https://www.youtube.com/feed/explore")
soup = BeautifulSoup(r.content,"lxml")
soup.prettify()
trendings = soup.find_all("ytd-video-renderer",attrs = {"class":"style-scope ytd-expanded- 
shelf-contents-renderer"})
print(trending)
1 Answers

This webpage is dynamic and contains scripts to load data. Whenever you make a request using requests.get("https://www.youtube.com/feed/explore"), it loads the initial source code file that only contains information like head, meta, etc, and scripts. In a real-world scenario, you will have to wait until scripts load data from the server. BeautifulSoup does not catch the interactions with DOM via JavaScript. That's why soup.find_all("ytd-video-renderer",attrs = {"class":"style-scope ytd-expanded-shelf-contents-renderer"}) gives you empty list as there is no ytd-video-renderer tag or style-scope ytd-expanded-shelf-contents-renderer class. For dynamic webpages, I think you should use Selenium (or maybe Scrapy). For Youtube, you can use it's API as well.

Related