I'm new to rate limiting and want to use tollbooth to limit HTTP requests.
I also read the Token Bucket Algorithm page on Wikipedia.
For a simple test app, I want to limit the max number of concurrent requests to 10 regardless of request IP, and have a max burst size of 3 based on request IP.
NOTE: The 10 and 3 are just to make rate limiting easier to observe.
Below is my code based on the examples on tollbooth's GitHub page:
package main
import (
"net/http"
"time"
"github.com/didip/tollbooth/v7"
"github.com/didip/tollbooth/v7/limiter"
)
func main() {
lmt := tollbooth.NewLimiter(3, &limiter.ExpirableOptions{DefaultExpirationTTL: time.Hour})
http.Handle("/", tollbooth.LimitFuncHandler(lmt, HelloHandler))
http.ListenAndServe(":8080", nil)
}
func HelloHandler(w http.ResponseWriter, req *http.Request) {
w.Write([]byte("Hello, World!"))
}
I test the code by running curl -i localhost:8080 several times in rapid succession, and I do get HTTP/1.1 429 Too Many Requests errors whenever I exceed the rate limit I set.
Below are my questions:
How do I use
tollboothto limit max number of concurrent requests to something like10? And does it even make sense to do so? I assume it does because rate limiting based only on IPs sounds like the server could still go out of memory when too many IPs access it at once.Am I approaching rate limiting correctly, or am I missing something? Perhaps this is something that's better handled by whatever load balancer is working with the app in the cloud?
UPDATE: Here's my working code based on Woody1193's answer:
package main
import (
"net/http"
"sync"
"time"
"github.com/didip/tollbooth/v7"
"github.com/didip/tollbooth/v7/limiter"
)
func main() {
ipLimiter := tollbooth.NewLimiter(3, &limiter.ExpirableOptions{DefaultExpirationTTL: time.Hour})
globalLimiter := NewConcurrentLimiter(10)
http.Handle("/", globalLimiter.LimitConcurrentRequests(ipLimiter, HelloHandler))
http.ListenAndServe(":8080", nil)
}
func HelloHandler(w http.ResponseWriter, req *http.Request) {
w.Write([]byte("Hello, World!"))
}
type ConcurrentLimiter struct {
max int
current int
mut sync.Mutex
}
func NewConcurrentLimiter(limit int) *ConcurrentLimiter {
return &ConcurrentLimiter{
max: limit,
}
}
func (limiter *ConcurrentLimiter) LimitConcurrentRequests(lmt *limiter.Limiter,
handler func(http.ResponseWriter, *http.Request)) http.Handler {
middle := func(w http.ResponseWriter, r *http.Request) {
limiter.mut.Lock()
maxHit := limiter.current == limiter.max
if maxHit {
limiter.mut.Unlock()
http.Error(w, http.StatusText(429), http.StatusTooManyRequests)
return
}
limiter.current += 1
limiter.mut.Unlock()
defer func() {
limiter.mut.Lock()
limiter.current -= 1
limiter.mut.Unlock()
}()
// There's no rate-limit error, serve the next handler.
handler(w, r)
}
return tollbooth.LimitHandler(lmt, http.HandlerFunc(middle))
}