How to remove first three harmonics from a daily data time series?

Viewed 43

I have the time series of a meteorological variable - Daily data for 10 years.

Time series

1

I would like to remove the first 3 harmonics from the time series.

I don't come from EE background, and finding it tough to understand Fast Fourier Transform.

How can I proceed with this? A python or R example would be great.

1 Answers

As @simple_code mentioned, if you don’t care about the signal components prior to and in-between the harmonics, you can just apply a high pass filter with a cut-off frequency above the 3rd harmonic.

If you do care about signal components prior to and in-between the 3 harmonics, then you’d want to go for 3 notch filters. Scipy has what you need if working in Python.

Let me know if you need more help

Related