So, I work in industrial automation, and normally program with ladder logic. So its rather odd compared to what I would consider normal programing. Anyway I needed to sort a list of numbers from smallest to biggest. I was looking through sorting algorithms trying to find one I could easily implement using ladder logic. I was having a hard time, but after some thinking I came up with something that wasn't even on the Wikipedia list of sorting algorithms. Well, It might be but I can't find it. I know this isn't very efficient sorting algorithm, but it does work. I want to know the name of it if it has one.
The basic version of this is, imagine an array of numbers. Take the first number in the list and compare it to all other numbers in the list, count the number of times that it is bigger than any of the other numbers. This accumulated value is the index number for where it goes in the output array. To place it in the array, check if there is already something written to that spot, if there is add one to the index and check again until there isn't anything in its spot. When the empty spot is found write it to the output array. Once you have done that to every number in the list you will have an output array with the same size as the input, but with it sorted smallest to biggest. I should note that this is assuming the language uses zero based indexing.
If this wasn't clear enough, I'm happy to elaborate further if needed.