Git Bash can't find node.js, even though it is in my Path and it works in Powershell

Viewed 81

I'm having trouble using Node.js on Git Bash (on Windows 11). When I run

npm install --save puppeteer

or a similar command, I get the following error message:

npm ERR! code 1
npm ERR! path C:\Users\{user}\git-repos\book-scraper\node_modules\puppeteer
npm ERR! command failed
npm ERR! command C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /d /s /c node install.js
npm ERR! 'node' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
npm ERR! operable program or batch file.
npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR!     C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Local\npm-cache\_logs\2022-08-18T20_26_25_630Z-debug-0.log

I double checked that Node was included in my Path variables. I have tried including both path to the node directory and to node.exe. When I run the same command in a Powershell or Windows Terminal the command works without issues. I also checked the log - here is the relevant part of the log file:

365 verbose pkgid puppeteer@16.1.1
366 verbose cwd C:\Users\{user}\git-repos\book-scraper
367 verbose Windows_NT 10.0.22000
368 verbose node v16.15.0
369 verbose npm  v8.17.0
370 error code 1
371 error path C:\Users\{user}\git-repos\book-scraper\node_modules\puppeteer
372 error command failed
373 error command C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /d /s /c node install.js
374 error 'node' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
374 error operable program or batch file.
375 verbose exit 1

I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer!

1 Answers

Instead of opening git bash from a Windows explorer contextual menu, open a Windows Terminal (where node does work) and:

  • make sure your %PATH% also includes C:\Program Files\Git\bin\ (before C:\Windows\System32)
  • type "bash" (to enter a Git bash session)
  • check if node is recognized with which node
Related