Due to AWS migration I have to migrate from ElasticSearch to OpenSearch. I am using Logstash to populate index with the DB data. In the existing Logstash's elasticsearch output plugin configuration the index was created during the Logstash’s startup by setting manage_template, template_name and template properties. I want to keep the same behaviour for OpenSearch as well. I switched to logstash output opensearch plugin and have a following config:
output {
opensearch {
hosts => "http://localhost:9200"
index => "ps_local_20220810083001"
document_id => "%{id0}"
template_name => "cas-template"
template => "/usr/share/logstash/pipeline/template/cas-template.json"
manage_template => "true"
template_overwrite => "true"
}
}
The Logstash successfully starts,
[2022-08-18T12:09:02,990][INFO ][logstash.outputs.opensearch][programs] Using mapping template from {:path=>"/usr/share/logstash/pipeline/template/cas-template.json"}
[2022-08-18T12:09:02,993][INFO ][logstash.outputs.opensearch][programRules] Using mapping template from {:path=>"/usr/share/logstash/pipeline/template/cas-template.json"}
[2022-08-18T12:09:03,093][INFO ][logstash.outputs.opensearch][programRules] Installing OpenSearch template {:name=>"cas-template"}
[2022-08-18T12:09:03,094][INFO ][logstash.outputs.opensearch][programs] Installing OpenSearch template {:name=>"cas-template"}
but I don't see the index template has been created in OpenSearch. The following API's requests provide confusing results. As I understand, the template has not been created:

As a result the index documents created using auto-mapping do not correspond the required structure. I tried to create a template manually before starting the Logstash. In that case documents looks good. But I do want the Logstash to create the template and index.
Question: Can anyone tell me how to solve this?
UPDATED:
As per this answer, I should be using the old API to check the specific template details GET http://localhost:9200/_template/cas-template. It shows that the template was created but the mapping section is empty:
