To develop a binary classifier, I am fine-tuning a ResNet18 model to distinguish between two classes of images.
To find the best learning rate, I do a grid search considering LR = 0.1, 0.01, 0.001, 0.0001, 0.00001. To choose the optimal LR, I use the following recipe:
- Look for the LR for which both the training loss and the validation loss decrease as the training progresses (sign of no overfitting).
- Check that both the validation accuracy and the training accuracy increase as the training proceeds.
- Interrupt the training when the training accuracy (and potentially also the validation accuracy) curve is flat.
As a reference, you can have a look at the curves in the attached image.
Do you confirm that this approach is solid? I am considering various combinations of classes, and the most unbalanced is about 30/70%. Besides accuracy, should I also consider precision and recall? Any other suggestion is very welcome!
