Firebase doesn't work on Android Studio Emulator

Viewed 1283

I was working on a project for my studies and everything was working fine, but I changed my OS to win11 while wiping all previous data.
Now Firebase is stuck on "loading" after using any type of sign in. Real time database data is not showing as well. After around 5-10 of waiting auth will sometimes work continuously (can sign in, sign out multiple times, until running app again) but database never.
Everything works well when i use physical device. Apps without firebase work fine on emulator. Internet connection works. Example app that doesn't work:
https://github.com/firebase/quickstart-android

I have:

  1. Used multiple different emulators(those with google play) with different sdk
  2. Changed SHA1 and google-servies.json
  3. In Settings -> Appearance & Behavior -> SDK Tools downloaded and activated Google play service
  4. Reinstalling Android Studio, installing win10 again
  5. Updated Google Play services version
  6. Tried different projects on different firebase accounts
  7. Activated Sign-in methods in firebase console
  8. Searched web for several hours and done many other things I can't even remember now

The only error I'm sometimes getting is:
E/FirebaseInstanceId: binding to the service failed
and this error when I use new emulator for the first time:
E/FirebaseMessaging: Topic sync or token retrieval failed on hard failure exceptions: java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.io.IOException: AUTHENTICATION_FAILED. Won't retry the operation.
E/FirebaseInstanceId: Topic sync or token retrieval failed on hard failure exceptions: AUTHENTICATION_FAILED. Won't retry the operation.
E/FA: Missing google_app_id. Firebase Analytics disabled.
E/FA: Uploading is not possible. App measurement disabled

For me it looks like something is blocking(or really slowing down) connection between android studio emulator and firebase.
I would be very grateful for any kind of help, its really important for my studies.

5 Answers

I think it's the emulator... Or at least it was for me. I was working with version 31.3.10 and had the same problem. App would not connect to the Firebase server in the emulator. Firebase Authentication would eventually work but took forever to login. Firebase was only using local data. Queries to Firebase returned results only from the cache (which was empty anyway), and I could see that (QuerySnapshot.metadata.isFromCache was true). Tried reinstalling the app, deleted the emulator image and made a new one, nothing worked. Internet access on the emulator was fine, I could browse web pages etc. Only thing that worked was downgrading the emulator. I went back to 31.2.10, cause I knew that one worked. You can get older versions from https://developer.android.com/studio/emulator_archive

I really hope they fix it soon cause it cost me a whole day to figure out wtf. Hope this helps someone else.

I have the same problem. It happened after several updates: Windows and Android Studio. Apparently, it's the emulator (version 31.3.10).

In my case, the solution to the problem is disabling Wi-Fi in the emulator and enabling mobile Internet. Although in fact the connection in Windows remains the same.

The network speed on the emulator is slower than your real network speed, so try to switch to a faster network. I have been in your situation many times and solved it by switching 4G network, And one time I was on Governmental institute and found that their network was blocking firebase for some reason so make sure that the network connection is not the reason.

Related