I'm trying to calculate image histograms of an numpy array of images. The array of images is of shape (n_images, width, height, colour_channels) and I want to return an array of shape (n_images, count_in_each_bin (i.e. 255)). This is done via two intermediary steps of averaging each colour channel for each image and then flattening each 2D image to a 1D one.
I think have successfully done this with the code below, however I have cheated a bit with the for loop at the end. My question is this - is there a way of getting rid of the last for loop and using an optimised numpy function instead?
def histogram_helper(flattened_image: np.array) -> np.array:
counts, _ = np.histogram(flattened_image, bins=[n for n in range(0, 256)])
return counts
# Using 10 RGB images of width and height 300
images = np.zeros((10, 300, 300, 3))
# Take the mean of the three colour channels
channel_avg = np.mean(images, axis=3)
# Flatten each image in the array of images, resulting in a 1D representation of each image.
flat_images = channel_avg.reshape(*channel_avg.shape[:-2], -1)
# Now calculate the counts in each of the colour bins for each image in the array.
# This will provide us with a count of how many times each colour appears in an image.
result = np.empty((0, len(self.histogram_bins) - 1), dtype=np.int32)
for image in flat_images:
colour_counts = self.histogram_helper(image)
colour_counts = colour_counts.reshape(1, -1)
result = np.concatenate([result, colour_counts])