I have a df with user journeys that show purchase amounts of products. Now, I want to fill the last non-null value for each user, since users do not buy every day. currently, I have:
date | user_id | purchase_value
2020-01-01 | 1 | null
2020-01-02 | 1 | 1
2020-01-03 | 1 | null
2020-01-04 | 1 | 4
2020-01-01 | 2 | 55
2020-01-02 | 2 | null
I want it to look like this:
date | user_id | purchase_value
2020-01-01 | 1 | null
2020-01-02 | 1 | 1
2020-01-03 | 1 | 1
2020-01-04 | 1 | 4
2020-01-01 | 2 | 55
2020-01-02 | 2 | 55
Explanation: For user 1, we fill 1 on 2020-01-03 since this was the last non-null value on 2020-01-02. For user 2, we fill in 55 on 2020-01-02 since this was the last non-null value on 2020-01-01.
How would I do this in pandas for each user_id and date? Also, the dates do not have to be sequential. i.e. there can be gaps in the dates, in that case always fill in the last non-null value (whenever that was).
Update: I tried using this solution but the fill-forward does not occur as expected. It does take the next (future) date instead of the last non-null value. See img
df.groupby(['user_id'], sort=True)['purchase_amount'].apply(lambda x: x.ffill())
The first column is the actual normalized purchase amount for user=1 and the next column is the result from the formula. The first Nan should be replaced with 0.72, not 0.06.
