I use MS-Test, moq 4.18.2 and FileSystem (System.IO.Abstractions) 17.0.24 for my tests.
I think I wrote a correct test for InfoLoader_LoadInfoAsync. But, I don't understand how to write a test for MyViewModel::StartLoadInfoAsync to check that InfoList was populated correctly. It seems that I have to duplicate instantiation and configuration of InfoLoader as I did in InfoLoader_LoadInfoAsync. Is there a way around this? How such things are usually tested?
public abstract class IInfoLoader
{
public event Action<MyInfo> InfoLoaded;
public abstract Task LoadInfoAsync();
protected void OnInfoLoaded(MyInfo info)
{
InfoLoaded?.Invoke(info);
}
}
public class InfoLoader : IInfoLoader
{
private readonly IFileSystem _fileSystem;
private readonly string _path;
public InfoLoader(string path, IFileSystem fileSystem) {...}
public async override Task LoadInfoAsync()
{
foreach (var data in await _fileSystem.File.ReadAllLinesAsync(_path))
OnInfoLoaded(new MyInfo(...));
}
}
public class MyViewModel
{
private IInfoLoader _infoLoader;
public ObservableCollection<MyInfo> InfoList { get; }
public MyViewModel(IInfoLoader infoLoader) { ... }
public Task StartLoadInfoAsync()
{
_infoLoader.InfoLoaded += (info) => InfoList.Add(info);
return _infoLoader.LoadInfoAsync();
}
}
Tests
[TestMethod]
public async Task InfoLoader_LoadInfoAsync_Success()
{
var path = "...";
var lines = new string[] { "name1", "name2" };
var expectedInfoList = new List<MyInfo>();
foreach(var line in lines)
expectedInfoList.Add(new MyInfo(line));
var fileSystem = new Mock<IFileSystem>();
fileSystem.Setup(fs => fs.File.ReadAllLinesAsync(path, CancellationToken.None))
.ReturnsAsync(lines);
var actualInfoList = new List<MyInfo>();
var infoLoader = new InfoLoader(path, fileSystem.Object);
infoLoader.InfoLoaded += (info) => actualInfoList.Add(info);
await infoLoader.LoadInfoAsync();
// Assert that items in expectedInfoList and actualInfoList are equal
}
[TestMethod]
public async Task MyViewModel_StartLoadInfoAsync_Success()
{
var expectedInfoList = new List<MyInfo>();
// WHAT DO I DO HERE? DO I CREATE AND CONFIGURE infoLoader LIKE in "InfoLoader_LoadInfoAsync" TEST?
var vm = new MyViewModel(infoLoader.Object);
await vm.StartLoadInfoAsync();
actualInfoList = vm.InfoList;
// Assert that items in expectedInfoList and actualInfoList are equal
}