I have tried a few different ways of doing this but no matter what I've tried I get the same result.
Once I start the server, the first time I post, it doesn't work. because the state hasn't updated (I think)? All of the following post requests afterwards work fine, along with the correct state. So I'm not so sure it's state. Here's my code
Register.js
export default class Register extends React.Component{
constructor(props){
super(props);
this.state = {
username: '',
password: ''
}
}
onChange = (e) => this.setState({[e.target.name]: e.target.value});
register = async () => {
await axios.post(config.API_URI + 'register', {
username: this.state.username,
password: this.state.password
});
}
render(){
return(
<div>
<form id='register-form' className='border'>
<div id='form-title'>Create account</div>
<div className='mb-3'>
<label className='form-label' htmlFor='username-label' name='username-label'>Username</label>
<input type='text' className='form-control' id='usernameInput' name='username' onChange={this.onChange}></input>
</div>
<div className='mb-3'>
<label className='form-label' htmlFor='password-label' name='password-label'>Password</label>
<input type='password' className='form-control' id='password-input' name='password' onChange={this.onChange}></input>
</div>
{/*}
<div className='mb-3'>
<label className='form-label' htmlFor='password-label-confirm' name='password-label-confirm'>Confirm Password</label>
<input type='password' className='form-control' id='password-input-confirm' name='passwordConfirm'></input>
</div>
{*/}
<div id='buttons'>
<button className='btn btn-primary' id='register-btn' onClick={this.register} disabled={this.state.username === '' & this.state.username === ''}>Register</button>
<Link className='btn btn-primary' to='/login' id='login-btn'>Login</Link>
</div>
</form>
</div>
)
}
}
server.js post request (currently just attempting to console.log my request instead of adding to my database). I have gotten it to save to the database just fine following the second post attempt.
...
app.post("/register", (req, res)=>{
try{
if(req.body){
console.log(req.body);
/*
User.find({username: req.body.username}, (err, data)=>{
if(data.length == 0){
let user = new User({
username: req.body.username,
password: req.body.password
});
user.save((err,data)=>{
if(err){
res.status(400).json({
errorMessage: err,
status: false
});
} else {
res.status(200).json({
status: true,
title: 'Registered Successfully'
});
}
});
}
});
*/
}
} catch(e){
res.status(400).json({
errorMessage: 'Something went wrong!',
status: false
})
}
});
I'm a beginner making my first full-stack application