Distribute unlisted Android apps on Google Play

Viewed 148

Google Play has something called Private Apps: https://support.google.com/googleplay/work/answer/6145139?hl=en

However, to my understanding this means that only members of my organization can install the app. It doesn't say what "organization" mean but I assume it's members of a Google Workspace or a specific email domain.

I want to achieve something similar to Apples "Unlisted apps": https://developer.apple.com/support/unlisted-app-distribution

This means the app is present on the Appstore, but it's not listed or searchable. Only if you have the link to the app you can download it, and the user will receive automatic updates.

Is there something similar on Google Play? I want to distribute and update the app via Google Play, but only to users that I share the url with.

2 Answers

You can publish the app on the Google Play store via the Play Console and while selecting where to launch (publish) the app, add the app/app bundle only to the closed testing option. There you can add specific email ids and only those will be able to see the app, get updates, etc. no one else.

Related