The solution that i've been working on so far:
function solution(elements) {
let numOfShifts;
let shift = shiftedArray(elements);
for(i = 0; i < shift.length; i++){
//Here is where i'm getting stuck... how do i continue through the loop even after the first false is returned
//until all arrays are checked for equality?
if(areEqual(shift[i])){
numOfShifts = i
}else return -1;
}
return numOfShifts;
};
function shiftedArray(array){
let shiftedArrays = [];
for(let i = array.length -1 ; i >= 1; i--){
// first element is simply a formula to create chunk 1
let firstElement = array.length - (i % array.length);
//the result of first element.
let chunk1 = array.slice(firstElement);
//the remaining numbers
let chunk2 = array.slice(0, firstElement);
//Copy of both chunks now merged and pushed into shifted arrays
shiftedArrays.push([...chunk1, ...chunk2]);
};
return shiftedArrays;
}
function areEqual(shift){
let sortedShift = [...shift].sort((a ,b) => {
return a - b
});
//takes in a single shift and does a deep check to see if the array is equal to sorted version
if(sortedShift.length === shift.length){
return sortedShift.every((element, index) => {
if(element === shift[index]){
return true;
}
return false;
})
}
}
console.log(solution([1,4,2,3]));
console.log(solution([[2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 1]]))
How do I keep the for loop running even after the first false is returned from the areEqual() function?
A side note: I understand that this could probably use some refactoring... like, I was working on this with someone earlier and they mentioned how I can simply shift the array by writing a helper function like shiftArray(arr){return arr.push(arr.pop())} but I don't get how that implementation would work considering that all that's returned is the value that was taken out of the array, not the new shifted array.