I was running Git for Windows 2.37.1.windows.1 just fine on a Windows 10 machine. I've been updating Git for Windows on that old machine for years. My ~/gitconfig file contained:
[credential]
helper = manager
I installed a clean Windows 10 on a new machine, and ran the exact same executable on the new machine to install Git. git --version correctly shows git version 2.37.1.windows.1.
I tried to access a Bitbucket secure repository, and it popped up an authentication dialog (not surprising), but on the command line it said:
git: 'credential-manager' is not a git command. See 'git --help'.
The most similar command is
credential-manager-core
I realize there are several Stack Overflow questions, one of them saying to remove the [credential] section, one of them saying to change manager to manager-core, and yet another saying to run git credential-manager-core configure, etc.
But those are not my main question. Sure, I can spend half the day trying all these different commands and combinations trying to get Git working again.
My central question here is this: if the same version of Git for Windows worked on the old machine, why doesn't the exact same version of Git installed on the new machine work with the exact same .gitconfig? What is different? What did not get configured when I ran the Git for Windows installation executable on the new machine?