I am trying to experiment with some mutual execution algorithms. I have implemented the Peterson's algorithm. It prints the correct counter value but sometimes it seems just like some kind of a deadlock had occurred which stalls the execution indefinitely. This should not be possible since this algorithm is deadlock free.
PS: Is this related to problems with compiler optimizations often mentioned when addressing the danger of "benign" data races? If this is the case then how to disable such optimizations?
PPS: When atomically storing/loading the victim field, the problem seems to disappear which makes the compiler's optimizations more suspicious
package main
import (
"fmt"
"sync"
)
type mutex struct {
flag [2]bool
victim int
}
func (m *mutex) lock(id int) {
m.flag[id] = true // I'm interested
m.victim = id // you can go before me if you want
for m.flag[1-id] && m.victim == id {
// while the other thread is inside the CS
// and the victime was me (I expressed my interest after the other one already did)
}
}
func (m *mutex) unlock(id int) {
m.flag[id] = false // I'm not intersted anymore
}
func main() {
var wg sync.WaitGroup
var mu mutex
var cpt, n = 0, 100000
for i := 0; i < 2; i++ {
wg.Add(1)
go func(id int) {
defer wg.Done()
for j := 0; j < n; j++ {
mu.lock(id)
cpt = cpt + 1
mu.unlock(id)
}
}(i)
}
wg.Wait()
fmt.Println(cpt)
}