sed regex to match exact pattern and ignore some pattern

Viewed 53

I have a YML, in which I need to append numeric with double quotes. I tried various regex but somehow it gets break somewhere or other. I need to avoid alphanum or alpha...

- name: HEALTH_ELASTIC_HOST 
  value: 40c07d4283d245.elastic.test.com
- name: HEALTH_ELASTIC_PORT
  value: 9243
- name: HEALTH_ELASTIC_USERNAME
  value: elastic

The basic cmd which I took, and modified

sed 's/[0-9]*[0-9]/"&"/g' values.yaml

Expected Result

- name: HEALTH_ELASTIC_HOST 
  value: 40c07d4283d245.elastic.test.com
- name: HEALTH_ELASTIC_PORT
  value: "9243"
- name: HEALTH_ELASTIC_USERNAME
  value: elastic

Any help is appreciated..link to any doc or cmd.

3 Answers

With your shown samples please try following(experts advise to use yq like tools to edit yaml since OP is using sed here so going with it).

sed -E 's/(^[[:space:]]+value: )([0-9]+$)/\1"\2"/g' Input_file

Explanation: Simple explanation would be, Using sed's -E option to enable ERE(extended regular expressions) then in main program using regex (^[[:space:]]+value: )([0-9]+$) along with substitute option of sed. Regex((^[[:space:]]+value: )([0-9]+$)) will create 2 capturing groups, where 1st one will have values like: value: in it and 2nd capturing group will have digits in it.

Then while performing substitution simply substituting it with 1st capturing group followed by " and 2nd capturing group followed by " as per requirement.

You may use this sed:

sed -E 's/([: ]+)([0-9]+) *$/\1"\2"/' file.yml

- name: HEALTH_ELASTIC_HOST
  value: 40c07d4283d245.elastic.test.com
- name: HEALTH_ELASTIC_PORT
  value: "9243"
- name: HEALTH_ELASTIC_USERNAME
  value: elastic

Explanation:

  • ([: ]+): Match 1+ of : or space and capture in group #2
  • ([0-9]+): Match 1+ digits an capture in group #2
  • *: Match 0 or more spaces
  • $: match end position
  • \1"\2": In substitution we wrap back-reference #2 with double quotes

Using sed

$ sed 's/\<[0-9]\+\>/"&"/' input_file
- name: HEALTH_ELASTIC_HOST 
  value: 40c07d4283d245.elastic.test.com
- name: HEALTH_ELASTIC_PORT
  value: "9243"
- name: HEALTH_ELASTIC_USERNAME
  value: elastic
Related