Opentelemetry agent vs spring cloud sleuth

Viewed 146

I’m looking for some distributed tracing technologies for our spring boot services, in the internet, I see we have 2 popular choices I.e opentelemetry agent and spring cloud sleuth.

I see both of the them have good integration support, I’m confused to which one to go for, please give me some suggestions

1 Answers

As of today, you can find the following announcement on the Sleuth's Spring page:

Spring Cloud Sleuth’s last minor version is 3.1. You can check the 3.1.x branch for the latest commits. The core of this project got moved to Micrometer Tracing project and the instrumentations will be moved to Micrometer and all respective projects (no longer all instrumentations will be done in a single repository).

Additionally, sleuth is not playing nicely when trying to integrate tracing with other java-but-not-spring-exclusive libraries. To afford any such implementation you would need to configure Sleuth to use the open-telemetry tracer.

Thus, my advice would be to go for open-telemetry, unless you have exclusive reason to not do that.

Related