Git branching in Visual Studio just show one graph line?

Viewed 54

I use Git in Visual Studio as a local version control tool just for myself. Therefore, I have no remote repositories connected and everything runs locally.

My Problem: The Graph only shows one line instead of forked branches. can somebody explain this, please? Please see the below pictures: This is what I got:

Visual Studio

This is what I want:

graph

If the pictures are unavailable:

What I got:            #    What I want
Graph descr.  Branch #    Graph descr.  Branch
--------------------------------------------------------
O    change2    Test   #   | O     change2   Test
|                      #   | |
O    change1    Test   #   | O     change1   Test
|                      #   |/
O    init       master #   O       init      master

I think I have a misunderstanding of how Git actually works, but please help me or show me a good guide.

Thanks in advance !! :)

1 Answers

If:

  • the DongleFree branch is made on top of TestBranch
  • the TestBranch branch is made on top of master

Then a git log --oneline --graph --decorate --branches --all would show the same as Visual Studio: one single line.

Once you have actual concurrent developments (different commits in two different branches, from one common ancestor), you will see forks in the commit graph.


The OP Lexxy_B confirms in the comments:

This is exactly the Problem! Visual Studio only shows the current Branch.

And this feature is not yet implemented: "View history of multiple branches in the same graph".

Related