My goal is to set up a game loop but a simple test isn't working as expected. In the following component, I am trying the useEffect hook to increment food. I expect to see "Food: 1". Instead I see "Food: 0". When I inspect the component with the dev tools, I can see that food is 2. I've discovered that the component mounts, increments food, unmounts, mounts again and increments food once more.
I have two questions:
- Can I do something about the double mount? (like prevent it or wait until the final mount with a nested component perhaps?)
- Why does the displayed food count still equal zero? Is it because
gameinside<span>Food: {game.food}</span>still refers to the initial instance? If so, how do I get the latest instance?
Component:
import React from "react";
class Game {
food = 0;
}
export default function App() {
const [game, setGame] = React.useState(new Game());
React.useEffect(() => {
setGame((game) => {
game.food += 1;
return game;
});
});
return <span>Food: {game.food}</span>;
}