Problem I'm new to Go and I'm trying to store json data in a struct from the Gov.uk public holidays API, so I can use this later on in my frontend.
If I run
var sb = string(body)
fmt.Println(sb)
I can see the data that's being returned in my terminal. I know that the response body is made up of bytes and the above converts it to a string.
I would like to iterate through the response body and store the data in a slice of structs called holidays, each struct will contain the data for a single public holiday. For some reason, the holidays variable returns an empty slice: [].
I guess my two questions are:
- What's the best way to transform json data into a slice of structs to be used later on?
- Why does the holidays variable return an empty slice?
Thanks!
Here's my code below: package main
import (
"encoding/json"
"fmt"
"io/ioutil"
"log"
"net/http"
)
type Response struct {
Data []Data
}
type Data struct {
Division string
Bankholiday Bankholiday
}
type Bankholiday struct {
Title string
Date string
}
func main() {
resp, err := http.Get("https://www.gov.uk/bank-holidays.json")
if err != nil {
log.Fatal(err)
}
if resp.Body != nil {
defer resp.Body.Close()
}
body, err := ioutil.ReadAll(resp.Body)
if err != nil {
log.Fatalln(err)
}
var response Response
json.Unmarshal(body, &response)
var holidays = []Bankholiday{}
for _, date := range response.Data {
holidays = append(holidays, Bankholiday{
Title: date.Bankholiday.Title,
Date: date.Bankholiday.Date,
})
}
fmt.Println("holidays: ", holidays)
}