I am trying to speed up a simple SELECT query on a table that has around 2 million entries, in a MariaDB MySQL database. It took over 1.5s until I created an index for the columns that I need, and running it through PhpMyAdmin showed a significant boost in speed (now takes around 0.09s).
The problem is, when I run it through my PHP server (mysqli), the execution time does not change at all. I'm logging my execution time by running microtime() before and after the query, and it takes ~1.5s to run it, regardless of having the index or not (tried removing/readding it to see the difference).
Query example:
SELECT `pair`, `price`, `time` FROM `live_prices` FORCE INDEX
(pairPriceTime) WHERE `time` = '2022-08-07 03:01:59';
Index created:
ALTER TABLE `live_prices` ADD INDEX pairPriceTime (pair, price, time);
Any thoughts on this? Does PHP PDO ignore indexes? Do I need to restart the server in order for it to "acknowledge" that there is a new index? (Which is a problem since I'm using a shared hosting service...)