"Invalid python interpreter selected" prompt vscode

Viewed 2946

I've been trying to setup my python workspace on vscode but the software doesn't seem to pick up the fact that I have python installed, and keeps telling me to install python. I've tried manually adding the path of the .exe file but the "invalid interpreter prompt" shows up every single time. Just for proof of me having the correct path in the settings here's a screenshot of the .json file and the command prompts I used to obtain the path.

3 Answers

First, make sure you have the python extension installed.

Then follow the steps below to choose an interpreter for vscode:

  1. Use Ctrl+Shift+P to open the command palette

  2. search for Python:Select Interpreter (or click select interpreter in the lower right corner)

    enter image description here

  3. If the panel shows an interpreter, select the available interpreter. If the panel doesn't have an interpreter option. Please select the first item Enter interpreter path

    enter image description here

  4. Then paste the full path to your python.exe (or go to explorer by selecting Find and select your python.exe)

    enter image description here

If it still fails, try installing the pre-release python extension.

enter image description here

For me, after investigating the problem in this issue, I found that the problem had to do with my ComSpec environment variable. This environment variable needs to be set to C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe for the python extension to work.

On my device (VSCode 1.71.2, Python extension 2022.14.0) I could solve the problem by clearing the python interpreter setting.

For this, use Ctrl+Shift+P to open the command palette. Then, enter Python: Clear Workspace Interpreter Setting. On the next panel, select to delete all.

After this, you should be able to select an interpreter by entering Python:Select Interpreter in the command palette.

Related