I'm stumped.
I have a folder called c:/data/ToDelete. It used to contain files as well as a single subfolder called ..., which contained the same files as well as single subfolder named ... and this went on ad nauseum.
I moved the contents of the ToDelete folder elsewhere, but the subfolder/subfolder structure remains, and I can't get rid of it.
This is what it looks like in Explorer
This PC > Data > ToDelete > ... > ... > ... > ... > etc
clicking on the above reveals the path: C:\Data\ToDelete\
I was able to rename the first folder (from c:/data/temp/ to c:/data/ToDelete/) but whenever I try to rename the subfolder I get the "This folder is already open" (probably because it is just referring back to it's parent folder).
Things I've tried (none worked)
- the basics: Delete key, Shift Delete, drag to recycle bin, send to recycle bin
- command prompt delete, including trying the ASCII code for
.just in case. - I tried zipping it with 7zip
- I did a chkdsk and got no errors
- I tried removing with Revo Uninstaller Pro (the Delete folder option).
- I tried renaming the subfolders with this powershell script that I found online thinking I could then delete them but got an error:
Get-ChildItem -Recurse | where {$_.attributes -eq "Directory"} | Where-Object {$_.Name -match '...'} | Rename-Item -NewName { $_.Name -replace '...' , 'ToDelete' }
The funny thing is I found the folder in my backup directory as well, so somehow the entire thing can get copied (which means I have to remove it in multiple places now).