I have a .NET web site that captures a C# DateTime value and stores it in database with UTC value. Upon showing that datetime value on web page, what I want is that date time UTC value to be converted to web user's local time zone properly. So web users in different time zones will see the displayed date time value with different date time results.
I have 2 following approaches. I do not know which is the best and correct one.
Approach 1: Let C# server side codes to convert the UTC DateTime value to local date time using .NET library method DateTime.ToLocalTime() and pass that converted value to client side to display without any further client side codes.
Approach 2: I do not do any time conversion using C# server side codes. Instead, I simply pass the UTC datetime value to client side and I will use some client side (javaScript or some JS library) codes to do the conversion before displaying it to web user.
Question 1: Approach 1 or Approach 2 is the best and correct one?
Question 2: The .NET library DateTime.ToLocalTime() method will convert a datetime value to local time of web user; web server's local time; OR web user's computer OS time?
Question 3: How can I test my web page with different time zones to see the best/correct approach working?
Thank you for your help.