I am completely new to MVVM and I am creating an UWP app for keeping track of my software development, I am still learning.
So what I want to make is:
An app that contains single page ->
In MainPage.xaml I have something like this:
<!--MainPage Content-->
<Grid>
<!--For SearchBox-->
<AutoSuggestBox x:Name="SearchBox"/>
<!--For Adding Item-->
<AppBarButton x:Name="AddAppButton"/>
<!--Listview that contains main data-->
<ListView x:Name="AppsListView"/>
<!--This is DataTemplate of listview-->
<DataTemplate>
<Grid>
<!--Icon of App-->
<Image/>
<!--Name of App-->
<TextBlock/>
<!--For Editing Item-->
<AppBarButton/>
<!--For Deleting Item-->
<AppBarButton/>
</Grid>
</DataTemplate>
</Grid>
In Model I have something like this:
public class DevApp
{
public string name { get; set; } // For App Name
public string Iconsource { get; set; } // For App Icon
public ICommand EditCommand; // For Edit AppBarButton
public ICommand DeleteCommand; // For Delete AppBarButton
}
In ViewModel, something like :
public class ViewModel
{
// For ItemSource of ListView
public ObservableCollection<DevApp> DevApps = new ObservableCollection<DevApp>();
// For Add AppBarButton
public ICommand AddCommand;
}
Now this is me first time trying to create a neat and clean Mvvm app. Now I have this question:
- I know how to bind command to button or AppBarButton but how am I supposed to bind a Methods of a Xaml Control such as Listview's SelectionChanged() or AutoSuggestBox's TextChanged() Methods to ViewModel ?
- How can I Load Data from save file ? As there is no InitializeComponent() in ViewModel like in CodeBehind to start from, where shall I pull LoadData() method which loads data to ListView ? ( my viewmodel is bind to view using <MainPage.DataContext> and I wanna keep code behind completely empty. )
- Where shall I put Data class that can manage load save and edit data to savefile.
- How shall I distribute responsibilities among classes ?
I have seen people using mvvm and they create files like:
services, helpers, contracts, behaviours, etc.
and I have seen same thing in Windows Community Toolkit Sample App Is it required for Mvvm. And what are services and helpers.- Shall I really use Mvvm for this ?
I tried using Mvvm in this just for curiosity but like
ITS BEEN 1 MONTH I AM MAKKING THIS APP! but it gets messed up again and again,
If I used Code Behind it would have been done in few days. BY time now I realize that Mvvm is good at data bind in complex apps but
When it comes to simple things like a simple app with listview, I think code-behind
is better and it keeps things simple.
Please answer these questions I am really struggling in making this app.