I have a Google sheet for storing cross references and I want to automatically sort those cross references in ascending order based on the New Testament verses.
| NT Book | NT Chapter | NT Verse | OT Parallel Book | OT Chapter |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| Matthew | 1 | 1:12 | 1 Chronicles | 3 |
| Matthew | 1 | 1:12 | 1 Chronicles | 3 |
| Matthew | 1 | 1:12 | Ezra | 3 |
| Matthew | 1 | 1:2 | 1 Chronicles | 1 |
| Matthew | 1 | 1:3 | 1 Chronicles | 2 |
I'd to be able to sort by the NT Verse column in ascending order. However, due to the Scripture references, you can see that reference 1:12 is smaller than 1:2 when it should be larger.
I also am trying to do this with a =SORT Function on a query:
=SORT(QUERY({'1 Chronicles'!A:O,Ezra!A:O}, 'select Col4, Col5, Col1, Col2, Col3, where Col4 contains 'Matthew' order by Col3 ASC",0),3,true)
So in other words, I need to sort by the NT Verse column in ascending order in a way that retains the order of the verse numbers on the right side of the colon.
I'm not sure if there is a way to do this by formatting the column or with the =SORT function?
