docker-compose from Github Action (self-hosted runner) throwing error: Access is denied

Viewed 300

If anyone can provide any help or suggestions with the following I'd be very grateful, I've tried to include the debugging steps I've already taken.

Issue: When attempting to run docker-compose up --build --scale cypress=3 --force-recreate from a Github Action step on a self-hosted runner, I get the following error:

error during connect: This error may indicate that the docker daemon is not running.: Get "http://%2F%2F.%2Fpipe%2Fdocker_engine/v1.24/version": open //./pipe/docker_engine: Access is denied.

Code snippet:

name: Test build
on:
  workflow_dispatch:
  pull_request:
    types:
      - opened
      - synchronize
      - reopened
      - ready_for_review
    branches:
      - main
  push:
    branches:
      - main

jobs:
  build-and-run-tests:
    runs-on: [self-hosted, test]
    env:
      ASPNETCORE_ENVIRONMENT: 'Development'

    steps:       
      - name: Stop w3 service
        run: net stop w3svc
        continue-on-error: true

      - name: Checkout branch
        uses: actions/checkout@v3
        with:
          clean: false

      - name: Setup node
        uses: actions/setup-node@v2
        with:
          node-version: '16'

# Build and publish application steps...

      - name: Run Cypress Tests
        run: |
          cd $Env:GITHUB_WORKSPACE\Tests\
          & docker version
          & docker-compose up --build --scale cypress=3 --force-recreate  

Debugging steps taken:

  1. Running docker version on the step outputs the following which seems to suggest docker daemon is running:
Client:
Cloud integration: v1.0.28
Version:           20.10.17
API version:       1.41
Go version:        go1.17.11
Git commit:        100c701
Built:             Mon Jun  6 23:09:02 2022
OS/Arch:           windows/amd64
Context:           default
Experimental:      true
  1. I've run docker-compose up --build --scale cypress=3 --force-recreate whilst remoted onto the self-hosted running, the command is successful.
1 Answers
Related