I'm sure this is simple enough to do but I can't seem to frame the question right in Google. I have order data from an ecommerce store, I want to be able to do a select query to label a customer's 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc orders (based on date) so I can map out other metrics downstream.
Example Source Data:
| customer id | order # | date |
|---|---|---|
| 123 | abc1 | 3/1/22 |
| 187 | abc2 | 3/3/22 |
| 123 | abc3 | 3/17/22 |
| 165 | abc4 | 3/19/22 |
| 123 | abc5 | 3/22/22 |
Desired Result:
| customer id | order # | date | Order Sequence |
|---|---|---|---|
| 123 | abc1 | 3/1/22 | First Order |
| 187 | abc2 | 3/3/22 | First Order |
| 123 | abc3 | 3/17/22 | Second Order |
| 165 | abc4 | 3/19/22 | First Order |
| 123 | abc5 | 3/22/22 | Third Order |
Any thoughts?