I want to change the value of a key inside a 2D dictionary while looping, but the program is behaving in a way I did not expect.
So first I initiated my 2D dictionary:
dict1 = dict()
dict2 = dict()
list = ['a', 'b', 'c']
list2 = ['A', 'B', 'C']
for i in list2:
dict1[i] = []
for i in list:
dict2[i] = dict1
Now I created a nested loop to change the key by appending a value to a list:
count = 0
for i in range(3):
for j in range(3):
dict2[list[i]][list2[j]].append(count)
count += 1
print(dict2)
The outcome is as follows:
{'a': {'A': [0, 3, 6], 'B': [1, 4, 7], 'C': [2, 5, 8]}, 'b': {'A': [0, 3, 6], 'B': [1, 4, 7], 'C': [2, 5, 8]}, 'c': {'A': [0, 3, 6], 'B': [1, 4, 7], 'C': [2, 5, 8]}}
whereas I expected to see this:
{'a': {'A': [0], 'B': [1], 'C': [2]}, 'b': {'A': [3], 'B': [4], 'C': [5]}, 'c': {'A': [6], 'B': [7], 'C': [8]}}
Why is the code behaving in this way and what can I change to get the outcome that I'm looking for?
Thanks!