I am extending an old school project, and I have the Makefile the course staff made for us. I have reorganized the directory structure of the project like this.
+-----obj
|
+-----src
| |
| +-Makefile
| +-allocator.h
| +-debug_break.h
| +-rbtree_clrs.c
| +-rbtree_linked.c
| +-rbtree_stack.c
| +-rbtree_topdown.c
| +-rbtree_unified.c
| +-segment.c
| +-segment.h
| +-test_harness.c
| +-my_optional_program.c
|
+------scripts
The Makefile currently prepends the heap allocators I wrote (files starting with rbtree_) with either test_ or my_optional_program and puts them in the same directory as the Makefile. I can then run my different heap allocator implementations on the scripts in the scripts folder. Instead, I want this:
+-----obj
| +-my_optional_program_rbtree_clrs
| +-my_optional_program_rbtree_linked
| +-my_optional_program_rbtree_stack
| +-my_optional_program_rbtree_topdown
| +-my_optional_program_rbtree_unified
| +-test_rbtree_clrs
| +-test_rbtree_linked
| +-test_rbtree_stack
| +-test_rbtree_topdown
| +-test_rbtree_unified
|
+-----src
| |
| +-Makefile
| +-allocator.h
| +-debug_break.h
| +-rbtree_clrs.c
| +-rbtree_linked.c
| +-rbtree_stack.c
| +-rbtree_topdown.c
| +-rbtree_unified.c
| +-segment.c
| +-segment.h
| +-test_harness.c
| +-my_optional_program.c
|
+------scripts
What do I need to add or change in the Makefile so that it will build to the obj/ folder?
# They had us try different optimization levels here (-O0, -O2, etc).
rbtree_clrs.o: CFLAGS += -O0
rbtree_unified.o: CFLAGS += -O0
rbtree_linked.o: CFLAGS += -O0
rbtree_stack.o: CFLAGS += -O0
rbtree_topdown.o: CFLAGS += -O0
ALLOCATORS = rbtree_clrs rbtree_unified rbtree_stack rbtree_linked rbtree_topdown
PROGRAMS = $(ALLOCATORS:%=test_%)
MY_PROGRAMS = $(ALLOCATORS:%=my_optional_program_%)
all:: $(PROGRAMS) $(MY_PROGRAMS)
# I had to use gcc-11 on mac to be able to build this project.
UNAME := $(shell uname)
ifeq ($(UNAME),Darwin)
CC = gcc-11
else
CC = gcc
endif
CFLAGS = -g3 -std=gnu99 -Wall $$warnflags -fcf-protection=none -fno-pic -no-pie
export warnflags = -Wfloat-equal -Wtype-limits -Wpointer-arith -Wlogical-op -Wshadow -Winit-self -fno-diagnostics-show-option
LDFLAGS =
LDLIBS =
$(PROGRAMS): test_%:%.o segment.c test_harness.c
$(CC) $(CFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS) $^ $(LDLIBS) -o $@
$(MY_PROGRAMS): my_optional_program_%:my_optional_program.c %.o segment.c
$(CC) $(CFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS) $^ $(LDLIBS) -o $@
clean::
rm -f $(PROGRAMS) $(MY_PROGRAMS) *.o callgrind.out.*
.PHONY: clean all
.INTERMEDIATE: $(ALLOCATORS:%=%.o)
Update: This Makefile has solved the issue. I took Renaud Pacalet's Makefile (thanks!) and adjusted the paths to achieve the desired result. It seems not going up one level in the directories was an issue. Then I had to add the path I wanted to the ALLOCATORS in the PROGRAMS variable. I have no idea if this is how it should be done but it worked. I can update this if there is a better way.
SRCDIR = ../src
OBJDIR = ../obj
SRC := $(wildcard $(SRCDIR)/*.c)
OBJ := $(patsubst $(SRCDIR)/%.c, $(OBJDIR)/%.o,$(SRC))
# They had us try different optimization levels here (-O0, -O2, etc).
$(filter $(OBJDIR)/rbtree_%.o,$(OBJ)): CFLAGS += -O0
ALLOCATORS = rbtree_clrs rbtree_unified rbtree_stack rbtree_linked rbtree_topdown
PROGRAMS = $(addprefix $(OBJDIR)/test_,$(ALLOCATORS))
MY_PROGRAMS = $(addprefix $(OBJDIR)/my_optional_program_,$(ALLOCATORS))
all:: $(PROGRAMS) $(MY_PROGRAMS)
# I had to use gcc-11 on mac to be able to build this project.
UNAME := $(shell uname)
ifeq ($(UNAME),Darwin)
CC = gcc-11
else
CC = gcc
endif
CFLAGS = -g3 -std=gnu99 -Wall $$warnflags -fcf-protection=none -fno-pic -no-pie
export warnflags = -Wfloat-equal -Wtype-limits -Wpointer-arith -Wlogical-op -Wshadow -Winit-self -fno-diagnostics-show-option
LDFLAGS =
LDLIBS =
$(OBJ): $(OBJDIR)/%.o: $(SRCDIR)/%.c
$(CC) $(CFLAGS) -c -o $@ $<
$(PROGRAMS): $(OBJDIR)/test_%: $(OBJDIR)/%.o segment.c test_harness.c
$(CC) $(CFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS) $^ $(LDLIBS) -o $@
$(MY_PROGRAMS): $(OBJDIR)/my_optional_program_%: my_optional_program.c $(OBJDIR)/%.o segment.c
$(CC) $(CFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS) $^ $(LDLIBS) -o $@
clean::
rm -f $(PROGRAMS) $(MY_PROGRAMS) $(OBJ) callgrind.out.*