Access the history of responses of a useQuery hook that uses polling

Viewed 35

In my app, I need to display the historic state of a server, similar to following image:

enter image description here

The endpoint I use is a normal GET fetch. So I need polling to retrieve the data periodically:

  const { data, isFetching, error } = useGetServerStateDataQuery(id, {
    pollingInterval: 3000,
  })
  console.log(data) // data only contains LAST response :(

The problem is that data only contains last response, and I need the historic of all responses to be able to draw the progress. Is there any built-in redux-toolkit solution to access the history of responses?

1 Answers

There are multiple approach:

Using extra reducers

You can link a timestamp in the meta

Then plug the result of your endpoint into an extra reducer to keep track of this history of results

const weatherSlice = createSlice({
  name: 'weather',
  initialState,
  reducers: {
     history: {}
  },
  extraReducers: (builder) => {
    builder.addCase(api.endpoints.getServerStateDataQuery.fullfilled, (state, action) => {
      state.history[action.meta.timestamp] = action.payload
    })
  },
})

Using entity adapters

You can store each temperature info into an entity object with an entity adapter

const weatherInfoAdapter = createEntityAdapter<Book>({
  selectId: (info) => info.id,
  sortComparer: (a, b) => a.timestamp.localeCompare(b.timestamp),
})

const weatherSlice = createSlice({
  name: 'weather',
  initialState: weatherInfoAdapter.getInitialState(),
  reducers: {
     history: {}
  },
  extraReducers: (builder) => {
     builder.addCase(api.endpoints.getServerStateDataQuery.fullfilled, (state, action) => {
      weatherInfoAdapter.addOne(state, action.payload)
    })
  },
})
Related