Running Firefox as root in a regular user's session is not supported

Viewed 439

Seems running Firefox as root in a regular user's session is not supported.

linux Firefox -v report:Running Firefox as root in a regular user's session is not supported.  ($XAUTHORITY is /home/user/.Xauthority which is owned by user)

Any comments/ideas?

1 Answers

You saw it right.

In the discussion Cannot run Firefox as root Daniel Veditz in his comment clearly mentioned:

There is no recommended way to run Firefox as root, and because of our sandboxing techniques it's quite broken even if we hadn't explicitly disabled it through start-up checks. As a "bug" this is not something we're going to fix.

They further added,

"Run Firefox as root" doesn't seem to be your ultimate intention though, more like "How do I manage a shared Firefox installation so it gets updates?" That sounds like a support question rather than a bug. I don't actually know that answer--I don't use a shared machine or multiple accounts so I just install locally--but you can try our support site https://support.mozilla.org/ or our forums https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/forums/ or maybe even StackOverflow once more people run into this issue.

This issue was marked with status as RESOLVED WONTFIX


tl; dr

tell us Firefox unsupported in Linux root

Related